Box 1

Box 1
Teaching with Novels

Box 2

Box 2
Resources

Box 3

Box 3
Meet Sra. Wienhold

5 New Movies for Spanish Class

I am always on the lookout for presentations at conferences that are actually given in Spanish on a cultural topic. I love showing authentic film, so I chose a session at #CSCTFL on Spanish film class from Israel Fernando Herrera. He brought up many new movies that I would like to watch, and research more as possibilities to incorporate in my classes. Most were documentaries with social justice or human rights themes. He went very in depth with the first couple of examples, but then flew through the rest very fast at the end.



5 New Movies for Spanish Class - Mis Clases Locas


The group actually got in a heated discussion about push back from administration and parents from showing movies with real themes, but I liked the comment, "make your teaching the film about morals, not politics." This is important for me as I have been reprimanded in the past by parents who thought I was "pushing my political views" by having students discuss real issues, such as immigration in class. Using documents such as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights help guide to what is defined by the United Nations as human rights.


Here are a few films that were brought up. As with anything I share, please make sure to preview it yourself and see if it would be appropriate and work for your particular school and students. I have not yet watched any of these films, but hope to watch them soon!




El abrazo de la serpiente (2015) Colombia
This was the first movie from Colombia to be nominated for an Academy Award. It was made in black and white and is about the indigenous living in the Amazon region. Israel actually interviewed the cast and producer of this film on a radio show which can be found here.


Hija de la laguna (2015) Peru
During the Peruvian gold rush, an Andean woman communicates with water spirits to keep mining companies from destroying the lake she considers her mother. This film focuses on the themes of natural resources, a world without water and doing justice. It would go great with Carrie Toth's Water is Life Unit.


Landfill Harmonic (2015) Paraguay
Of all the movies presented, this is the one I would most love to show in class. It is about children of the dump who have created amazing, functional instruments from trash that now perform all over the world. It would be great to add to an environment unit, with a cross curricular music connection. It also has the deep themes of poverty and waste pollution.




Tus padres volverán (2015) Uruguay
In 1983 154 kids ages 3 to 17 traveled alone from Europe to Montevideo, Uruguay. Their parents could not come back to their home country due to political exile, but wanted their children to know their homeland and relatives. This documentary would be great for the theme of human rights.


Jota de saura (2016) Spain
This documentary is about a traditional dance of Spain, la Jota. This lesser know folk dance and music of Aragon would be an interesting addition to the other widely known styles. It would make in interesting companion to the film Un tango más (2015) from Argentina.



Other movies to look into


What are your favorite new movies to show in Spanish class?

11 comments

  1. Thank you! I'm super sick today and was just thinking about showing a movie tomorrow. Now I think I'll watch one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel better!
      Please give your review if you watch any!

      Delete
  2. These look awesome. I looked on amazon and some aren't available yet here. Please list any other movies that you discussed. Gracias

    ReplyDelete
  3. On Amazon, it says the the Landfill harmonic is in English. Have you seen it? I don't want to buy it if the dialogue is in English, but if it means subtitles in english, I will buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eve,
      I have not seen it yet! I was under the impression it was in Spanish. I would see if you can check reviews or product description.
      Allison

      Delete
    2. There are English & SPanish versions on youtube of this documentary and you can download for free.

      Delete
    3. Where can I download for free?

      Delete
    4. Megan,
      I would always recommend purchasing movies for class use as I want to model copyright for my students.
      warm regards,
      Allison

      Delete
    5. I purchased the movie from Amazon. It's in Spanish with subtitles in English but you can turn them off. It's a documentary. It is amazing, and it's not only about environment. There are some many topics that can be addressed with the movie. I am teaching the environmental unit right now with my Spanish 3 IB and I will use it. I am not sure how yet, but I will be working on it.
      Great recommendation. Thank you.
      Claudia

      Delete
    6. Spanish 3 IB? Can you tell me how that works? Are they sophomores taking Spanish 3 before starting IB their Junior year?

      Delete
    7. In my school, students take Spanish 3 IB during their junior year. During the senior year, they either take Spanish 4 IB (SL) or Spanish 5 IB (HL). Freshman year they take Spanish 1 Prep IB, and Sophmore they take Spanish 2 Prep IB.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top