Box 1

Box 1
Teaching with Novels

Box 2

Box 2
Resources

Box 3

Box 3
Meet Sra. Wienhold

March música miércoles madness

Last year I posted Música miércoles - bracket style based from this awesome post from Bethanie Drew. It was very low tech and drawn on my unused chalk board. This year I actually planned ahead (mostly because I knew I needed to change out my Valentine's themed bulletin board and wanted something for March). 

This year I wanted students to have more say in creating the bracket, so I created a quick Google Form for students to nominate potential songs in Spanish. I put the most requested ones together in an excel bracket chart and tried to give it some kind or organization. I ended up having four quadrants: class favorites, current songs, past chart toppers, old school songs (aka what I listened to in high school Spanish in the early 2000's:). I tried to have a variety of artists, but you can tell by the lack of genres that these students love reggaetón and Latin pop. We listen to a variety in class, but when given the choice of their favorites, you see a lot of the same types of music. 

Download the whole unit here!! (includes editable slideshow, bracket & bulletin board)

board made by my awesome senior assistant Carley
(the bracket is made with yarn)


Here are all of the resources for our bracket this year!

For logistics, all classes will watch and vote for one pairing each day via google form. To keep it easy, all classes will have the same bracket, and as a school decide who wins and moves on. This way on the giant bulletin board we can all follow along with who is winning. I plan to post the youtube playlist, bracket and voting forms on Schoology, and as a class starter students will vote each day. We will probably start by watching them as a class, but once we have moved past round one, students will re-watch them on their own if needed and vote. 


If you are doing something similar, please share your bracket in the comments!
*Here is Dustin Williamson's 2016 bracket #1 & Another by Dustin Williamson
*Here is Spanish Plan's bracket

**Update here was the final bracket with the winner Danza Kuduro!

9 comments

  1. Here's our bracket
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cbx3b8tXIAAVr18.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me encanta la idea. Muy buena suerte y si no te molesta, me gustaría hacer algo similar en mi clase. ¿Escogiste tú o los estudiantes todas las canciones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias! Mis estudiantes escogieron las canciones. Muchas son favoritas de "música miércoles," cuando escuchamos canciones en clase. \
      Buena suerte!

      Delete
  3. Are all the songs and videos appropriate for middle school? thanks for posting sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to do this with my 8th graders, but you will want to preview them to see if you feel they would work with your students, school culture and admin!

      Delete
  4. What are some activities you do with the winner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year we didn't actually do anything with the winner. By that point they had heard the winning song multiple times and I did want to beat the whole thing to death 😀 There are a lot of things you could do along the way with the genre, artist, origin and lyrics.
      Have fun!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for posting this idea. It's a great way to brighten up the usually dreary March! Using google forms for the voting was the perfect way to do the voting, too.

    There was a lot of enthusiasm for the final "game" on Monday. We have a very basketball crazy school so having it coincide with the actual championship game of the men's NCAA tournament made sense.

    Our finalists were "Bailando" by Enrique Iglesias and "Me Voy, Me Voy" by Vazquez Sounds. Before the final vote, we spent some time getting to know how each of the artists got their start with a biographical video on Enrique and a promotional video by Sony Music about Vazquez Sounds.

    I apologize for not posting my brackets. I never actually made a digital copy - just put it on the board in my room.

    I'm looking forward to using the same idea with different songs next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the update & I am glad it went well!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top