Box 1

Box 1
Teaching with Novels

Box 2

Box 2
Resources

Box 3

Box 3
Meet Sra. Wienhold

Exploratory Spanish - Para Empezar

I am pretty excited that next year I will get the chance to teach Jr. High exploratory Spanish for the first time. In fact they do not even start until 2nd trimester in November, and I have already started working on things for them! How it is set up I will have one class everyday for an hour for 6 weeks. I put together this keynote/powerpoint 6 Weeks of Para Empezar

Get it here!

It is similar to my original Para Empezar set up with a specific activity for each day: Monday - Video, Tuesday - Travel, Wednesday - Music, Thursday - Joke & Friday - Dance. I may substitute in free reading time on Tuesdays and Thursdays a little later. This could also be used to start Spanish 1, or adapted for upper levels. It would be great to leave as a behavior management strategy for a maternity leave substitute. 






I would love your tips on hooking in junior high students to take Spanish in high school!

8 comments

  1. It's not junior high but I have perked the interest of some of my Spanish II students to continue by promising more vocabulary in topics they like in future years (for example, my pair of boys that are looking forward to learning how to say heart attack and stroke instead of just cast and bandage in the medical theme unit).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the structure of your Para Empezar bell ringer activities! I also teach a 6th Grade Exploratory Class, I get a new group every 9 weeks! This is such a fun age. My students last year really enjoyed music (singing), projects, short bursts of story-telling (I am going into my second year so still trying to learn the TPRS/CI methods), and they also were eager to learn a lot of words and wanted to know how to say everything and anything that had to do about themselves. I can see Baile Viernes being awesome for this age - I'm going to try it this year! I have been reading your blog all last year and it has been a true inspiration! I would love to collaborate with you, I am also a department of one, middle school and high school, creating it all as I go along, on my own, it is a lot of fun and challenge. I've really appreciated your many blog posts to help get me through! Mil gracias desde Montana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tana,
      Thank you for reading and your kind words! I am glad I could help. I would love to collaborate! What is your Twitter?
      Have a great summer!
      Allison

      Delete
    2. Sorry for the late reply! My twitter is @snraluptak :) You have a great summer as well!
      -Tana

      Delete
    3. Perfect I am following you now!

      Delete
  3. I am pretty excited to purchase and go over the materials in your exploratory Spanish series. I will be teaching a semester long, 45 minute class, so I feel I can adapt much of what you have. As you know, we already follow each other on Twitter. However, I would like to consider Skyping with your students next year, to help them practice speaking Spanish in a safe and friendly environment. Have a great day! Maestra W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. Just found your blog. I will be teaching 8th grade exploritory Spanish this upcoming school year. I taught a full year course last school year. It was grueling. Thanks for sharing your experience. It will be helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top