Box 1

Box 1
Teaching with Novels

Box 2

Box 2
Resources

Box 3

Box 3
Meet Sra. Wienhold

Goodbyes & a Leap of Faith

A sweet gift from the class of 2015 Spanish IV

As of Thursday, May 21 I will have finished the first chapter of my teaching career. It is bittersweet to leave my first real teaching job. I have spent the last three years of my life pouring my passion, sweat and tears into students and a school that have become home. I am talking literal sweat at a brick oven school with no air conditioning that starts in mid Iowa August, and actual tears (both happy and sad) on many occasions.  

There are so many major life events that happened while teaching hereThis will always be the school that 6 weeks into my first year teaching I went from Ms. Bickle to Mrs. Wienhold getting married. (NEVER get married 6 weeks into your first year teaching by the way!) It will also be where I spent my first pregnancy, had to leave for maternity leave & returned to teaching as a new mom of an 8 week old. I have personally grown in my faith, and do believe I was chosen to teach at this Catholic school for my first job. 

I feel for the students those first two years, because personally I was all over the place now I finally feel I am hitting my stride. You can see what I learned after my first two years in a popular post here. If I were to add to that list this year, I would add what I learned through my 3rd year curriculum risks of jumping into using El Internado: Laguna Negra & class novels. More than anything I learned that I personally just need to relax. Luckily I have a very chill and calming husband who lets me know when I get to high-strung and worked up about school. I take everything personally, and how can you not? Teaching IS personal. 

Outside of the classroom I started my first Spanish club, directed a play and musical, and sponsored student council. I have also continued my part time job with Camp Adventure, recruiting, selecting, training, and supervising university students to work in summer camps around the world. My husband and I bought a house, had a child, and I can finally say I now feel like a real adult. 

As an adult, I have to make decisions to do what is best for me and my family. Unfortunately, this means moving to a public school which will be able to provide for us in the future. A new school, with fresh administrators and coworkers will hopefully allow me to learn and grow in ways that I never would have if I had just stayed safe at the same school, even though I will still be a department of one

Goodbyes are hard. Tears have already been shed as I said goodbye to my seniors in their last class and at graduation. I hugged every one of them, since I had personally had every one of the 36 graduates either in class, or when I had their class or homeroom. It is starting to become real for the underclassman as my classroom is bare and empty, as I move out the last three years of my life. 

Moving schools is scary. I already have some if the same butterflies and questions I had as a first year teacher. Will the new kids like me? Will they hate everything I love like baile viernes? How will I transition my lessons to hour long classes on 12 week trimesters? Will I make friends with the other teachers? Will I regret jumping into something completely new? The constant questions will always be there, but I will never know until I try. 


Here's to always learning & growing! - Allison 

1 comment

  1. I'm so glad you got to feel like a real, settled adult before your career move! That will make at least half the transition easier. Don't be surprised if it feels like your first year all over again, though! There are so many daily intricacies we take for granted working in the same place for a few years. Just brace yourself for that feeling and be patient with yourself in this time of transition!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top