Box 1

Box 1
Teaching with Novels

Box 2

Box 2
Resources

Box 3

Box 3
Meet Sra. Wienhold

Quick Tip: The Book of Life Movie

picture source
If you are a Spanish teacher and have not yet see The Book of Life, you should make the time to check it out. I have been pumped to see it ever since Sra. Dentlinger wrote this post about the movie this summer. As she mentions there are endless ways to expand on the culture portrayed in the movie, from bullfighting, to Mexico, to perceptions of death. This time next year every Spanish class in the country will be watching the colorful and fun movie in Spanish class as a part of their Day of the Dead lessons. 

I was fortunate enough to be able to take my Spanish club on an afternoon field trip where we both saw the movie, as well as ate at an authentic Mexican restaurant. All four levels of Spanish spent last week on a mini Day of the Dead unit, mostly based around these awesome plans by Martina Bex. In the middle of the unit, the Spanish club was able to see the movie. I would have loved for all my classes to have the chance to see it, but at my tiny school I literally have 2/3rds of the student population in Spanish. This was a way to reward those going above and beyond who participate in Spanish club. 

The students LOVED it. I was worried with it being PG that it would be too "kiddy" for the upperclassmen, but like most animated movies now, there was plenty of hidden adult humor to keep them entertained. We happened to see the 3D version, since it was the only matinee that particular day, but we agreed that you did not necessarily need to see it 3D. The music was great, and included a huge variety or genres, since the main character is an aspiring singer. Our group had the theater to ourselves, which was fun since students would add in commentary in Spanish, as well as laugh and gasp as loud as they pleased. 

Overall, I plan on buying the movie, both to watch with my little one, as well as use in class next year. 

2 comments

  1. I saw this movie in Colombia. Great movie! I don't think I'll be able to show the whole movie in my classes, but I definitely will use an excerpt from the beginning of the movie where they explain Day of the Dead and how Mexican's view death. Overall, very cool movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a link to the guide for novice students! http://misclaseslocas.blogspot.com/2015/04/el-libro-de-vida-book-of-life-novice.html

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top