Box 1

Box 1
Teaching with Novels

Box 2

Box 2
Resources

Box 3

Box 3
Meet Sra. Wienhold

My Favorite Part of the School Day & Random Facts

As the student council advisor and this week being Homecoming, this week has been slightly busy, to say the least. (That is my excuse for being behind on my #ReflectiveTeacher Blogging).

So here is day 10. 
5 Random Facts
  1. My high school mascot was a Pretzel (No seriously See Here)
  2. My 2nd cousin is Bill Murray 
  3. My mom married my band teacher, (while I was in high school band, let that sink in for awkwardness)
  4. I moved 14 times by the time I was 16 years old
4 Things From My Bucket List (I obviously have wanderlust!)
  1. Go on a Mediterranean Cruise with my husband and show him Europe
  2. Visit all 50 states (24 down!)
  3. Visit all 7 continents (3 down!)
  4. Go to Ireland with my 100% Irish mom
3 Things I Hope For This Year
  1. Spanish III & IV continue to enjoy El Internado and push their listening comprehension to new levels
  2. That I can successfully implement TPRS novels in all levels
  3. That I can get classes and their materials organized online for their reference
2 Things That have made me Laugh or Cry as a Teacher
  1. Everything made me cry my first year. (I may have freaked out my principal my breaking out sobbing to him on more than one occasion because I was so overwhelmed and could not handle everything. There were also a few times I had to turn around behind my desk to compose myself after my a couple incredibly mean students really got to me. EATING snacks and getting a thick skin was key!)
  2. I try to laugh with my students everyday, especially just joking with them in the halls. (This has been key in building positive relationships with all students, not just those in my classes.)
1 Thing I Wish More People Knew About Me
  1. I need help. I try to be super mom-wife-teacher-student council advisor-Camp Adventure trainer, and may not ask for assistance, but usually NEED and love help.

What is your favorite part of the school day & why?
I love the start of class on Friday in every class. I love that the kids come in bursting with excitement saying "we get to dance today!" "yeah Viernes Chant" "baile viernes!" "El Internado hoy!" (Spanish III & IV). I love that we have created weekly traditions that make them run to Spanish class. It end the week on such a high note. I can't wait for tomorrow!

Our 1st viernes chant, fall 2012. My babies are seniors now!
What is your favorite part of the day?

4 comments

  1. So I pinned your "Baile Viernes" post and thought about doing it, except...I'm a pretty awkward dancer and I just feel like my high school students would be too self-conscious to dance. I picture it being a horrible failure. How did you get your students to be so enthused?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all about how you sell it! I would start with a class that you know has a lot of energy and enthusiasm. Talk all week about this awesome thing you will be doing Friday. It could even be a competition as to which class gets to do it 1st! Get up front and make a fool out of yourself with the kids. The just dance zumba are great to start with since they are easier. Have fun and let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    I LOVE your "Baile Viernes" idea and I know my students would too. I teach 7th grade Spanish 1 part 2 and they are already begging to hear music (after a whole week of school). However, I'm a little paranoid that a student or parent will complain that the dances and/or lyrics are inappropriate. Have you ever dealt with this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had any parent complaints! If you are worried you could always make a permission form. To be honest my students are not native speakers so they do not even pick up on inappropriate words. Most zumba dances are pretty clean, check out my YouTube playlist on my original baile viernes post for ideas. The just dance videos are made for kids so you don't have to worry about sports bras or crop tops which would send 7th graders over the edge! Let me know how it goes!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top