Box 1

Box 1
Teaching with Novels

Box 2

Box 2
Resources

Box 3

Box 3
Meet Sra. Wienhold

El Internado - Teaching Episode 1 & my PLN

Last spring I kept seeing all of these #langchat Spanish teacher tweeting about the show El Internado: Laguna Negra. So at the end of the year, I purchased the complete series of El Internado on Ebay. I binged on it this summer during baby boy's naps, and at night while my husband remodeled our bathroom. (I would not have been any help anyway!) I also collaborated on ways to incorporate the show in class via the Lang Camp Google+ Community. I scoured the Internet for ideas and resources and then blogged on the 7 Best Resources for El Internado.




Through my collaboration I came up with the following plan:

  • Spanish III & IV would watch El Internado every Friday in class with Spanish subtitles using my computer and projector in the classroom.
  • I sent home a permission form for all students to be able to watch PG-13 & R rated movies, as well as Spanish TV shows, the first day of school as a part of my Parent Newsletter
    • There are some scenes which involve partial nudity, sexual content, and foul language. Honestly, most kids see the same thing on cable TV, and I hear worse language in the hallway. 
    • We talked about not repeating language that in inappropriate, just how they would not say it in English in class, they should not swear in Spanish. 

Introducing El Internado

  • On the first Friday, which also happened to be the 2nd day of school I introduced the show using this El Internado Intro Powerpoint Introducing Characters with Trailer (If you know who is the original owner of this powerpoint, please let me know. I do not remember who generously shared it with me, but I would love to give them credit!)
  • I started class showing this trailer, which got them REALY excited about the show. It has English subtitles, which is nice to get them interested, but unfortunatly it will be the last time they have them since we watch the DVDs with Spanish subtitles. 
  • We went through the Intro Powerpoint Introducing Characters, and I talked in Spanish about each person and how they are connected to the others. 
  • We then watched the trailer again, so they could better identify who was who and what was going on. They left class PUMPED about watching the show this year. 

Teaching Episode 1 (aka reusing all of the wonderful plans of Mike Peto)

*Update - Purchase Mike Peto's AWESOME  complete guide to episode 1 here.
I will be honest when I read other teacher's plans for El Internado I thought it seemed like he went pretty slow. I actually thought that in the first class of watching the show we would easily get through the first 20 minutes, as well as the first two readings he shares. I WAS WRONG. If you want students to actually understand what is gong on, especially at the beginning with all of the important introductions of characters, you have to pause over and over, to ask questions, and reinforce what is happening. This may mean rewinding and watching parts over again. We are nearing the end of September and will be finishing Episode 1 this Friday, it only took us 5 weeks! I pretty much based how much we would get through each week by using Mike Peto's awesome Readings for Episode 1

  • Episode 1 - Day 1
    • We slowly worked our way through the beginning of the episode until minute 10, where Maria enters the Internado for the first time. (I was nervous as it is in these first 10 minutes that Maria fall out of the tree in her underwear, but most students did great, and thought it was hilarious. I told them in advance a scene involving was skin was coming up and gave them the option to leave, which no one did.) We stopped frequently to check for understanding, and to reinforce who is who character wise. We then used Mike Peto's Reading for Episode 1 - part 1, to review what had happened. We started going through it as a class, and what we did not finish was homework. We then discussed our answers and reviewed some more on Monday. The students LOVED the show and could not wait for more. 
  • Episode 1 - Day 2
    • We reviewed part one in Spanish, through questions to the students about what had happened and each of the characters. During class we made it from minute 10 to minute 19, ending where Evelyn and Paula are in class, and Evelyn is eating boogers. We then completed the Reading for Episode 1 part 2 in a similar fashion as day 1. 
  • Episode 1 - Day 3
    • By this point Spanish IV is running in the door on Friday, pumped for El Internado(They also think it is pretty cool that I let them bring in food to share with the class while they watch). Many of the girls are also already hopelessly in love with Marcos. We reviewed what had happened so far as an introduction. We watched from minute 19 to about minute 30 where Hector finds Maria smoking outside. We then completed the Reading for Episode 1 part 3, like the previous weeks.
  • Episode 1 - Day 4
    • During week 4 of watching, and the students are really starting to get watching the show, especially Spanish IV. The students told me the following statements: "at first it seemed like they talked really fast, but now I can understand them," "I used to only read the subtitles, but now I can listen at the same time," "Can we watch more! We went from about minute 30, all the way to minute 57! I was planning on stopping where the reading activity ends, when Alfonso hits his head in the forest, but they begged to go on. The students were really understanding everything, and I did not want to bore them with stopping so much, so we continued and they completed the Reading for Episode 1 part 4 on their own, and we discussed it later in class. 
  • Episode 1 - Day 5
    • This week we will finally finish episode 1. Whooo! I plan on having the class  watch the rest of the episode, and then review episode 1 as a whole. We will complete this review activity for Episode 1 as a class to practice both reading and writing about the show. If there is time we will begin to introduce Episode 2.

Teach Thought #REFLECTIVETEACHER 30-DAY BLOGGING CHALLENGE 

Day 22: What does your PLN look like, and what does it to for your teaching?

Thursday night at 8pm CST log into Twitter and search #langchat. This is my PLN. These amazing, generous, and insightful teachers saved me from being a boring, textbook, workbook drone teacher. They also inspired me to use El Internado! The teachers that participate in this chat, as well as post other great resources throughout the week with the #langchat hashtag, or on their incredible blogs are my inspirations. I have posted about them many times, including as my inspirational online colleges. If you would like to see who are the rockstars on my foreign language teachers PLN, check out who I follow on Bloglovin, Pinterest, as well as on Twitter @SenoraWienhold.

12 comments

  1. Hola Allison! I love your blog and follow it regularly. I was trying to revise my Newsletter for next month and would love to have an editable copy of your Pages doc. Would you mind sending me one? Mil gracias!

    Michelle michmetwestvan@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Michelle! It has been emailed. Have a great day! - Allison

      Delete
  2. Hi Allison- Your blogs have convinced me to use El Internado in my classes. However, I'm only seeing the European versions avbl that won't play on my computer. Are there American or digital versions available? What did you buy exactly. We have a European DVD player, but I'm not sure if I can project it onto my projector.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia,
      I purchased my set on Ebay and I believe it is region 2. I have a Mac and it played instantly when I put it in my computer. I know other teachers with PCs have just downloaded a media player online to have it play through the computer.
      Another option is it is currently on Netflix, which you could stream online for the monthly fee.
      Let me know if you have more questions!
      Allison

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! Didn't see it on Netflix at first- and it has all the subtitle/caption options! :) Can't wait to start it!!

      Delete
  3. I started watching El Internado with English subtitles on Netflix this week and am really getting into it even though I am 64 years old. I found the show through Grand Hotel, which I LOVED. I was looking for more shows with Yon Gongalez. I'm in love with a 29-year-old.....ha! I love it that you're teaching your students through El Internado. I taught elementary school for 30 years and was always into mixing it up and using what stimulated the kids to learn. Carpe diem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking about using El Internado next year! So you only watch episodes on Fridays? Since you probably don't finish an episode in one class period do you wait until the next Friday to do anything Internado related or do you finish stuff on Monday when you come back? Do you tie in language students should know into your lessons all week so they better understand Internado or do you go about your normal curriculum and Fridays are Internado days? Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Friday is our Internado day. Depending on what we were doing, we may go over an activity on Monday. Now that we are pretty established, we usually save most things for freaky before or after watching. Sometimes we may review on Thursday if we have extra time. At the start of the year we did more targeted Internado vocabulary in lessons through the week a la Mike Peto's plans for episode 2. Let me know if you have more questions!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful resources and plans! I sincerely appreciate it. I was wondering if you give students a target structure / vocabulary list for the first episode? If so, would you be willing to share this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josh!
      I know Mike Peto posted his target structures for episode 1 on his blog.
      I hope that helps!
      Allison

      Delete
  6. Hi Allison,
    I really want to use El Internado in my level 3 class. They are still at the novice level of proficiency even though they are level 3. I'm worried it will be too hard to understand or that I won't be able to explain things in a comprehensible way...but I really want to share this show with them (only on Fridays like you). DO you have any suggestions or words of wisdom for me? So far all I have done is share the Intro Power Point & trailer. Tomorrow is day 1 of watching episode 1...do you do anything with vocabulary prior to watching the first episode? Any tips you have for me will be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you, Jaime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not teach specific vocabulary. My advice is go slow and use the guides from Peto!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top