Box 1

Box 1
Teaching with Novels

Box 2

Box 2
Resources

Box 3

Box 3
Meet Sra. Wienhold

Name Game Speedball

First day of school year 3 - check!

As I write this I am soaking up the wonderful AC in the teacher's lounge and recovering from my tropical sauna of a non air-conditioned classroom. The day just flew by with a rush of excitement, adrenaline and Español. I have not spoken that much consecutive Spanish in a day since school got out. (Terrible I know!) I could tell by the looks on many of my Spanish II & III kids' face that they have not heard that much Spanish since then either!

Name Game Speedball - Mis Clases LocasThis year I am learning to just roll with the punches since in the 24 hours before school started we learned that on day 1 we would not have 1to1 laptops, our new chairs (some kids sat on folding chairs today), or a definitive schedule of classes and kids. But the show must go on! I popped out of bed to my first alarm (since we all know the first day of school is like Christmas to teachers) and even got a first day of school picture with my little guy. 

I mostly followed my 1st day of spanish class post, with some modifications due to not having the computers. Instead of talking about my summer, I made a quick iphoto slideshow of pictures of what my baby did this summer including goofy pictures for Spanish II-IV. I had never done an iphoto slideshow and did not know how ridiculously easy it is, just drag the pictures you want in a folder and it automatically rotates them through with a variety of options. I told the upperclassman to bring their own devices and phones in so we could start the stations. In Spanish I we did not even get to the stations, as they really got into the name game speedball (instructions below) and since we all needed to learn each others' names, I felt it was important to spend that extra time practicing, "my name is," "what is your name?" & "his/her name is." By the end of class I could name every kid in both sections. 


Name Game Speedball - Mis Clases Locas

Name Game Speedball 

Supplies - 1 small ball to toss 
Student Arrangement - Everyone standing in a big circle
Directions
  • Round 1 - Teacher models, as well as writes on the board "My name is..." "What is your name?" and tosses the ball to another student. This continues until everyone has been introduced. Repeat as many times as the class needs to get these phrases down.
  • Round 2 - Teacher models "his/her name is..." This time everyone will say "My name is..." "His/her name is..." before tossing the ball to another student. This will continue until everyone has gotten it once, and they will need to remember the order. 
  • Speed Round - Here it is important to challenge the kids and play it up that you bet they can't go through the whole order and beat a certain time or another classes' record. I then ask for a timekeeper (who thinks it is awesome that they are getting to use their phone in class on day 1.) I record their new time each round. This can keep going as long as there is high interest. The key is to end on a high note and keep them wanting more. 
Both of today's Spanish I classes really got into this activity.  Speedball could be use with many new get to know you phrases such as "I Like" or "I am from." What was especially neat was after we finished I challenged to see if anyone could name every student. I immediately had a ton of hands go up and let them take turns going around the circle rapid fire naming everyone off. I then gave them a "Smartie" candy for knowing their whole class. Isn't it awesome how well basic foreign language phrases work for building a classroom community!?!?
Happy First Day of School!

Update - If you would like to download all of my back to school products together, you can find them here.

6 comments

  1. Will try my first day of school! I'm rereading Teach Like a Pirate for more inspiration this year. Last year was my first year and I could have been more adventurous in my classroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like fun. can't wait to try en français!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No posts from this year yet. Trying to make this work with a class of 35 is challenging. Let me tell you.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top