Box 1

Box 1
Teaching with Novels

Box 2

Box 2
Resources

Box 3

Box 3
Meet Sra. Wienhold

Planning for Next Year

Today is my official first day of "summer break," and you know all I can think about? How I can make next school year the best year yet! Yesterday I made two huge strides forward with tweaking my curriculum for next year.

Picture source
  1. I purchased the complete series of El Internado on Ebay. I plan on binge watching it this summer during baby boy's naps & collaborating on ways to incorporate in class via the Lang Camp Google+ Community. I am excited to see what all the hype is about and find ways to incorporate it in my higher level classes.
  2. The school approved purchasing four class sets of TPRS novels, as well as the coordinating Teacher's Guides! I am getting La Calaca AlegreBrandon Brown Quiere un PerroRobo en la Noche y Esperanza. If you read this post, you know that I read all four of these books last weekend, so when we needed to fill out a purchase request this week for new materials, they were obviously the ones I picked, since I loved all of them. 
Now comes the hard part, figuring out how all four of my levels of Spanish will play out over the course of the year. I also need to still find ways to incorporate the only one year old Avancemos! textbook series as well. Being a department of one is both a blessing and a curse, since I have the freedom to completely change my curriculum from year to year, but also the single handed task of doing so. Lucky for me I have found an AMAZING PLN with the #langchat group on Twitter, as well as many generous bloggers who freely share their wisdom and resources. 

So here is my question for you. How have you structured your curriculum to blend elements such as authentic resources, textbook, TPRS novels & El Internado? Would you suggest breaking it up by days (novel Monday, El Internado Friday etc), units (read a novel everyday until finished with unit, then move on to another), or some other hybrid format? I would love feedback!

Happy Planning!
- Allison 

6 comments

  1. Here is what I have done: In Spanish 3 and 4, every Friday we watch Internado. The other days we do a novel, music, vocab, etc. In the second semester in Spanish 4 we watch Internado more frequently since they love it so much. Next year I am gong to do more backwards planning for Internado and really do a lot of vocab structures from the show so that it is more comprehensible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input! I would love to see what you come up with your pre El Internado lessons!

      Delete
  2. I used avancemos at my old school and will again at my new school. I asked for ideas from martina bex last year here'e the list if you haven't seen it: http://martinabex.com/2013/07/16/tprs-avancemos/
    Would love to collaborate with you!
    Sherome H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Another fabulous resource from Martina. Thank you for sharing, I am not sure how I missed it! I would also love to collaborate. My twitter is @SenoraWienhold

      Delete
  3. Im beso_chocolate on twitter. Do you teach any 1s or 2s this year? Im thinking about including the ideas from Martina and do a mix of TPRS and CI that includes the vocab and grammar for each unit... It might be the only way my department will go with what im trying to do. Sigh... the struggle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the only Spanish teacher and I have levels 1-4. I think that sounds like a great idea, I love everything Martina does! Adding something new each unit is way easier than trying to start from scratch, especially if you are tied to a set curriculum. Good luck with your CI!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top