Box 1

Box 1
Teaching with Novels

Box 2

Box 2
Resources

Box 3

Box 3
Meet Sra. Wienhold

Cooking Show

For the last unit of the year in Spanish II, we focused on something that they have a huge interest in, FOOD! We did a lot of activities from Kara Jacob's wonderful La Diversidad de la Gastronomia Unit, as well as many from the awesome Zachary Jones. We also utilized my laminated authentic recipes, food ads, and restaurant menus a ton. 




**I would highly recommend getting a personal laminator. It is a great way to preserve and use all of the colorful & authentic materials you get from magazines and traveling. I know have hundreds of 8x11 laminated sheets sorted by topic that I can pull out to use for many different things. 

For example, in this food unit, I spilt the class in four groups each with a stack of laminated recipes in Spanish. We had a timed competition for which group could write down the most commands found in the recipes (bate, mexcla, horna etc.) Then groups traded their lists and other groups edited  and counted to make sure that there were not any repeats and that all words listed were actually commands. e then created a master list on the SMARTboard of the words they though would be the most useful for their cooking show. This was their introduction to cooking words, and how they came up with the vocabulary they would need for their cooking show. (We also used the laminated authentic materials to come up with our food words at the beginning of the unit).

The presentational speaking assessment for the unit was creating a cooking show of an authentic dish, either on video, or live for the class. They also had a presentational writing component of writing up the recipe of what they were cooking as well. The project description can be found HERE. The kids had a great time sampling all of the authentic foods that were brought in including: churros, tortilla española, aguas frescas, Mexican wedding cookies, and many more. 

Happy cooking & eating!
Allison 

5 comments

  1. Love this idea! I've always thought of including cooking into my French classes so coming across your post makes me excited to do so! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Anna! Most if the students filmed their shows and we watched them as a class. This took some of the fear of speaking in front of the class away. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  2. Hi Allison,
    For some reason, I keep getting re routed to a google security page. Is there any way to gain access to your materials on drive? I'm at karynrayburn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello!

      I am so sorry, but since this document was made with my old school gmail account, it has now disappeared ;( I have not done the project since, so I have not made a new one. I know there are some on TPT from others!

      regards,
      Allison

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the quick response! I'll figure out an alternative. Love your stuff!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top