Box 1

Box 1
Teaching with Novels

Box 2

Box 2
Resources

Box 3

Box 3
Meet Sra. Wienhold

Baile viernes!

Baile viernes! - Get your Spanish class moving with Mis Clases Locas

My new favorite class routine is baile viernes (dance Friday). Every day we start class with a Para Empezar bell ringer, which I glad I started at the beginning of my first year teaching. I create a powerpoint in advance with a task for students to complete including any of the following: reading and answering questions about a Spanish meme, video, teaser to new topic, or review from previous day's lesson. Slowly I started implementing a certain activity for each day's bell ringer. 


Last year my students' favorite day of the week became música miércoles (music Wednesday), where they would watch the video (or lyrics video for those with inappropriate videos) of a current or classic song in Spanish. I recently started a Youtube playlist to keep class favorites organized. Here is the powerpoint of Spanish bellringers if you are interested in implementing them.

I have a lot of very active classes who started wanting to dance to the songs, so I started playing videos with choreography such as the videos below. Once it became a weekly event know as baile viernes, it was the new favorite part of the week for many. We dance right at the start of class on Friday and do a mix of Zumba, Just Dance or other choreography videos we find on Youtube. (*Note I am not a certified Zumba instructor, but do enjoy taking classes and dancing in general). Here is my baile Youtube playlistBaile viernes powerpoint, and baile viernes part 2 if you are interested. 

How do you get high schoolers to dance in class you ask? First and foremost as the teacher I am the example and make a fool of myself learning the dances with them. Sometimes we try a song and part way through the students decide they are over it, usually because it is too hard, so we quickly revert to one of their standby favorites, which varies by class. I did have once class who was never as into dancing, but most classes come in excited and shouting baile viernes! I have found it is a great way to get those Friday wiggles out at the beginning of class, especially on game days and before long weekends like today. 
Try it out and let me know how it goes!
- Allison 



19 comments

  1. I have been thinking of a way to do something on Fridays to shake things up a bit! Might have to try this. Did the students resist at first? Would you do it the first week or wait a while? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start week 1! If it is a routine and expectation it is best to begin right away. There will always be a couple who are not into it(usually those who do not want to look silly). The most important thing is to really get into it yourself and get a couple if the influential kids into it as well. Have fun & share pictures!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I'm about to start my classes next week and I'm new to the profession. So I'd like to know if you would recommend this for middle schoolers, and would you time it just so it doesn't get out of control?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baile viernes would be GREAT for middle schoolers! They have so much extra energy that starting class with some movement would be great to get their wiggles out. We typically just do one song per week to start class, so only 3-5 minutes. I usually tell them if there is time left at the end of class they can pick another of their favorites to dance to. For some classes, this means they are super focused and get through everything fast so they have time to dance at the end. It is a win-win for everyone! Have a wonderful first year and let me know if you need anything! - Allison

      Delete
    2. I tried it with my middle schoolers on Friday and they loved it! Some classes were more into it than others but overall it was a hit! I just do it with them and show them making a fool of yourself is fun and humbling.

      Delete
    3. I am glad it went well! I would love pictures too!

      Delete
  3. Hi! Where do you find "El Internado" to show your classes?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa,
      I bought the whole series on eBay and play it through my computer. It is currently on Netflix as well!
      Allison

      Delete
  4. I am going to try this with my level two students but I am concerned not everyone will participate. Did you hold students accountable at all-participation points, extra credit, etc.? Such a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never require all students to participate. I highly encourage everyone, but there will always be some who feel uncomfortable and I would not want to turn them off by forcing. I do not give any points ever anymore for participation or extra credit. It is all about just building a classro culture where as a team everyone wants to have fun. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  5. Is there a particular one you would recommend beginning with? I start after labor day but I think baile viernes will really bring more excitement to the classroom. I am the only foreign language teacher in the building and I am still rebuilding the reputation of the department. Thank you for all your awesome ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I am glad you are interested in starting! The "just dance" videos are usually the easiest for the students to follow, since they have done video games like that in the past. From the playlist above some past favorites have been "the ketchup song" or "limbo" (sweat mode).
      Let me know how it goes!
      Allison

      Delete
  6. This is our 2nd Friday of the school year and our 2nd "Baile viernes." It's received mixed reviews. Because there are a significant amount who like it, it will remain part of our weekly ritual. However, I would like to come up with a quick activity for those that choose to sit it out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What are your thoughts on doing this with 3rd and 4th grade students??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think dancing with3rd & 4th graders would be awesome! I would suggest finding some age appropriate videos & giving it a try!

      Delete
  8. I started this today in my classes. My 8th graders are ready to be done with school and I expected not to have great buy in, but it was worth a shot. I started by saying, "You have the rest of your lives to be too cool for this kind of silliness, but for one more month let yourselves be kids and have fun with it." They ALL did it. We all laughed, sweated and had a blast. What a fun resource!
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does this lesson come with lyrics? I am interested. Do you do this activity once per week only?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These only come with embedded videos in slide with title. I have multiple resources for baile viernes. The smaller ones have 15 weeks worth, and the bundle has more than enough for a year!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top